In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys sit down with Chris Wheeler and talk about moving around the country and how proximity to BIPOC and KADs affects how we see ourselves. Plus, Chris reveals what’s most exciting about his journey thus far—and what’s most daunting!
Later on we try Couque d’Asse again! HOW DO YOU EVEN PRONOUNCE IT?!
- Adoption Story: 4:54
- Racial Awareness at a Young Age: 8:43
- Moving Out West: 14:19
- Living in Glasgow: 23:09
- Return to Michigan: 26:31
- Claiming Korean as an Identity: 29:24
- Proximity to other KADs: 31:40
- The Most Exciting/Daunting Part of the Journey: 35:16
- IS THIS THE END OF THE JANCHI SHOW?!?!?!?!?! : 41:43
- Birth Family Relationships: 42:30
- Couque d’Asse, Again! 46:14
- Online at janchishow.com
- Support the show at janchishow.com/support
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
Connect with K.J.!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke