In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys continue their journey through the Korean Culture Dictionary! This week finds the guys talking about Kimchi. We learn some history. We learn some fun facts. We learn that the average Korean consumes about 48 pounds of Kimchi per year (and that’s a declining trend!).
Also, Patrick declares himself the DICTATOR OF THE PODCAST.
Got stories or fun facts about kimchi? Holla at us on our social medias!
- Hello Korea Box: Use code: JANCHI15 to save 15% on your order!
- Be featured on Patrick’s + Katie’s “Reclaiming Our Heritage” series on Instagram!
- Diving into the book: 6:06
- Does Kimchi help fight COVID? 6:53
- How Kimchi got its name: 8:00
- Kimchi used to be white: 10:00
- Kimchi is a side, NOT an entrée: 12:54
- Nathan stans pickle juice: 13:59
- Kimchi Fridges: 15:43
- SO MUCH KIMCHI CONSUMPTION: 16:14
- Kimjang—you get Kimchi, YOU get Kimchi, EVERYBODY GETS KIMMCCHHHIII!!! 19:46
- Random memory of old Korean culture just got unlocked in KJ’s brain: 21:09
- #APAHM 22:47
- Outro: 30:17
- Support the show at janchishow.com/support
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean Adoptees spread out around America and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean adoptee experience from our perspectives and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
Connect with K.J.!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: https://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: https://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: https://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke