In this week’s episode of your favorite Korean Adoptee podcast, the Janchi Boys sit down for part one of a two part series with Jordan VanHemert! Jordan is a professor of music at Hope College in Michigan and a jazz saxophonist extraordinaire. We talk to Jordan about growing up in rural Michigan and his first eye-opening experiences of being Asian-American and an adoptee. He also shares how Charlie Parker took him down the path to jazz and what it means to represent in the spaces you find yourself in.
Later, Jordan joins us for chocolate covered biscuits aka Lotte’s Kancho (칸초) + Hello Panda! They’re good, they’re great, and dare we say, delicious?!
- Hello Korea Box (Use code: JANCHI15 at checkout to save 15%!)
- KJ’s Korean Playlists on Spotify
- Patrick’s Arirang Playlist on Spotify
- Petition for Korean Adoptees
In this episode we talk about:
- Music (and a mini Korean Lesson!): 3:04
- Adoption Story + Growing Up: 19:59
- Realizing Identity & Understanding Being Korean-American: 26:18
- Reclaiming Identity: 30:28
- Engaging Korean Culture: 36:17
- Have You Always Been a Jazz Man?: 42:20
- Hard Cut to Food: 49:14
// Follow the Show!
- Online at janchishow.com
- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram: @janchishow
- Join our Group! janchishow.com/afterparty
- Watch our Youtube Videos
We’re three Korean-American Adoptees spread out around the country and each of us are at different stages in life. We’ll talk about the Korean-American adoptee experience and learn more about our shared culture, usually with food. And it won’t just be the three of us; each week we’ll have other adoptees from all over the world joining us to talk about what makes us similar and what makes us unique. So join the party!
// Meet the Janchi Boys!
Nathan was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small town in Oklahoma by a loving family and adopted sister. After college in Colorado he later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a digital media career and eventually started 2 photography companies. He has a wife and 3 kids and has reconnected with his biological family in 2014.
Connect with Nathan!
- Website: http://www.nathannowack.com
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/nathann/
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nowackphoto
Patrick was adopted from Seoul and raised in a small(er than Nathan’s) town in Indiana. After dropping out of college, he travelled around, working a variety of jobs before co-founding the All Times Are Local Foundation with his adopted sister in Chicago. He currently lives in Indianapolis with his fiancé and is 7 seconds into his journey of exploring his Korean-American adoptee identity.
Connect with Patrick!
- Website: http://www.alltimesarelocal.org
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/patrickarmstrong219
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/patrickintheworld
KJ was adopted from Daegu and raised in Dallas, Texas with his two biological, older siblings and his younger sister, adopted from Russia. He graduated from Greenville College and has served as the Worship & Creative Director at Schweitzer Church in Springfield, Missouri since then. He is married, with no children (yet!), and has been on his journey of discovery since 2015.
Connect with K.J.!
- Website: http://kj.roelke.info/
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/kjroelke
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kjroelke
- Apple: http://janchishow.com/apple
- Spotify: http://janchishow.com/spotify
- Youtube: http://janchishow.com/youtube
- Website: https://asianpodcastnetwork.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianpodcastnetwork/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asianpodcastnetwork/
Creative Director: Michelle Nam
Audio & Video Engineer: K.J. Roelke